Friday, August 26, 2011

24 weeks, 3 days! IT'S A........................BABY!!!!!!!

So, I know its been a while since I've updated, and I know I've promised to be more diligent with my posts, but really, being pregnant and the mother of a 2 year old monster (j/k she's not a monster all the time) is time consuming and exhausting. I know, I know who would have thought? lol
I am right about 24 weeks pregnant which means that there is roughly 16 weeks left (fingers crossed) Since I haven't written in a few weeks, I will update you on what's been going on, both with life and the pregnancy, as well as I can without writing a novel. :-)
On August 1st we had our 20 week "anatomy" ultrasound which is pretty much to check that the baby is growing properly; 2 hands, 2 feet, 10 fingers and toes, the heart is functioning, etc. But another component of having the 20 week anatomy ultrasound is to find out what the sex of the baby is. Although there are some who would rather be surprised, we HAD to know...or at least I did. I remember with Sydney that I had the anatomy ultrasound at around 18 or 19 weeks and the little booger was being stubborn and wouldn't open her legs so we weren't able to tell more positively until about 28 weeks. Little booger number 2 was also being stubborn and not in a very good position to help the ultrasound tech better view his heart and lungs and what not but eventually we were able to see pretty clearly that baby was...duh da da daaaaa..a BOY! The tech was actually trying to get a good view of his hands and fingers, having to poke and prod to get him to cooperate. Low and behold there were his little hands, right between his legs...along with another prominent part of his anatomy. the nurse even commented something like "naughty little boy...starting early huh?" I laughed and looked at Chris, who was grinning. That's our boy, i guess LOL.
Needless to say we were ecstatic that we were having a boy. I know alot of people asked me what we wanted and I would always answer the same: it didn't matter as long as the baby was healthy. And I wasn't lying. I would have been happy to have a boy or a girl (not that you can change that kind of thing once it is said and done lol) but its nice to have one of each now. And I know we both really, maybe secretly hoped for a boy. Chris was just grinning ear to ear. I will admit I am pretty nervous about raising and taking care of a boy. It just seems like it will be so different but maybe I'm just being a little crazy. I am crazy preggo lady after all.
Well anyways, I had my routine OB visit after the ultrasound (on August 11th to be exact--we were out of town for vacation from the 4th through the 10th--but that will have to be another blog entirely) and everything is pretty much right on target. Unfortunately I am gaining a little too much weight. I had gained 8 lbs in about 5 weeks--not good since I am only supposed to be gaining a lb a week--but my excuse was (and i stand by it firmly) I had just come back from vacation, where I ate seafood (fried or with butter) everyday and drank too many sodas, and pretty much didn't try to keep track of eating healthy or anything. So far I have gained about 23 lbs total which isn't great but isn't awful and looks to be pretty similar to what I gained with Sydney. At least I can say I weighed less and was in much better shape prior to getting preggo this time around, so getting rid of the weight after baby boy is born won't be so bad. I'm trying to stick to working out, but that's easier said than done since I'm so TIRED ALL THE TIME and have little motivation to get my butt to the gym. I am also currently a bit sick (some cold or sinus thing) so that is making it even less likely to get to the gym. But I'm making a promise to myself right here and now (not that promises I make in this blog mean anything--i remember promising I would actually keep up with this thing and we all know how that's been working out for me lol) but I'm saying it publicly anyway. Once I can breathe (meaning when I'm not hacking up a lung and both of my nostrils aren't stuffed shut) I will be much more diligent at the gym--cardio 4-5 days a week and strength training at least 3 days. It's tiresome, but honestly I feel so much better--emotionally and physically--after working out.
So at 24 weeks pregnant, I am doing relatively well all in all (besides being currently under the weather) Baby is moving really well, kicking and punching and whatever other baby acrobatics he's doing in there. I've developed an awful case of pregnant carpal tunnel which is no fun at all, but not surprising since I had it with Sydney too...i just don't remember it being this intense! Heartburn comes and goes--there have been days I've had it so bad I can't sleep, even after chewing TUMS like candy. But again, par for the course right? I have trouble sleeping on my sides because my hands fall asleep alternately, so I'm constantly waking up to rotate (which is getting harder and harder with this belly in the way lol) I've realized though, that if I prop myself up on pillows and sleep on my back, my carpal tunnel isn't so bad and my hands don't fall asleep, but I'm practically sitting straight up and its not always the most comfortable position. You gotta give somewhere.
Well...i guess that's about it for now. I will post some stuff about vacation and grandparents' visiting later. peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment